This tutorial might be the copy of my previous tutorial on how to manually update Nexus S to Android ICS 4.0.4 but with different Android version..the latest Android 4.1.1 a.k.a Jelly Bean. This tutorial is only for GSM version of Nexus S (i9020t/i9023 and i920a). Before doing update, make sure you have access to recovery mode so you can flash the update zip file. I use ClockworkMod to get access to recovery menu.
How to update:
- Download the Android Jelly Bean update zip file.
For i9020t/i9023: http://www.mediafire.com/?65j61btjxgvio40
For i9020a: http://www.mediafire.com/?7e1i4kdc7krgi1s
- Rename the file to update.zip (optional)
- Download SuperUser zip file
- Copy the update.zip file and jb_root.zip file into sdcard
- Reboot into bootloader end select Recovery
- On CWM recovery menu, choose install zip from sdcard then choose zip from sdcard
- Choose update.zip file and Yes – Install update.zip on confirmation
- Wait until the installation process finish
- Back to recovery menu then install the jb_root.zip (from install zip from sdcard menu)
- Wait until finish then reboot the phone
- After reboot system will update the phone
- Wait until finish, then you will be on Android 4.1.1 with root access and super user installed.
Reference: XDA Devby