A couple of weeks ago i installed my laptop with the new release of Fedora Linux: Fedora 12 with code name Constantine. As usual, i had to make it connected to internet. I used my AT&T USB Connect 881 modem with WvDial to connect. WvDial is a small linux utility that helps in making modem based connection to internet. It dials the modem and starts pppd in order to connect to internet.
WvDial consists of two main components which must be run as root:
- wvdial, the pppd dialer that dials the modem
- wvdialconf, is used to build configuration file for wvdial
How to connect:
- Run wvdialconf to generate a configuration file, /etc/wvdial.conf, that contains information about modem and ISP.
- The generated /etc/wvdial.conf should look something like this
- Remove the ‘;’ character from the Phone, Username, and Password line and replace the <Target Phone Number>, <Your Login Name>, and <Your Password> with the dial number, username and password from your ISP.
- The final configuration should look something like this (one line are added to suit with my ISP settings)
- Run wvdial to connect to internet
- To disconnect, use Ctrl+C to terminate the wvdial.
wvdialconf probes for modem information and found it on /dev/ttyUSB0
By default, wvdial will copy DNS address from ISP to /etc/resolv.conf, but in Fedora 12 you have to copy it manually (seems to be a bug).by
jouer casino says
thanks for this tuto it’s very informative for me i like it!
roulette en ligne says
i like your website it’s very helpfull for me thanks man!
casino en ligne francais says
Hi Thanks for sharing the details with us Very kind of you
i was searching for this tutorial thank you very much
pronostic sportif says
your tuto is good it help me thanks!
Good tutorial. Thank’s for this article to connect 881 modem. Try this soon 😉 Thx again. Good blog !
Merci cool l’article je met en favoris!
I have also some problem by configuring RTC modem at work 😉 Thank you for this useful post 🙂
free software and scripts says
Nice information, will try it on my computer. Keep up the good information.
Thankz . . . !!
arreter fumer says
Good tuto 😉 Long time i don’t use modem and i think it’s time to test again ^^ Good week end !
Thanks for this great tutorial 😉
casino en ligne partouche says